A Book & A Recipe
We've got a fun, Fall recipe to share with you today, readers! Thanks for checking in to get our September idea for dinner and a good read.
Today, we're featuring Cheddar Beer Soup from Susan Wigg's novel Family Tree.
Let's get started!
1 tbsp butter.
1 tbsp olive oil.
1 rib celery.
1 small onion.
1 med. sweet potato, peeled.
1 clove of garlic, minced.
1 tart apple, such as granny smith apples.
1-2 potatoes, diced.
1 sprig fresh thyme.
1 bottle of beer (recommended a good Vermont microbrew).
1/2 cup of cider, fresh or hard.
1 qt vegetable or chicken stock.
1 cup shredded Vermont sharp cheddar.
1 cup half-and-half or cream
1. Clean and dice the veggies and apples. The sweet potato should be peeled.
2. Warm the butter and olive oil in a heavy bottom pan.
3. Saute the onion approx. 5 minutes, then add the veggies, apple, and thyme.
4. When slightly caramelized, add the beer and bring to low boil.
5. Add the stock and bring to simmer.
6. Cover and simmer for approx. 30 minutes, until veggies are tender.
7. Puree in blender with lid/cover. (Can do this in batches).
8. Blend on low while adding cheese a bit at a time.
9. Return the puree to the pot and whisk in the cream. Do not let it boil.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Note: recipe originally adapted from a Hampton Winds Restaurant.
Does that sound like a delicious Fall dish? Are you brave enough to try it? If you are, please let us know! We'd love to hear from you in our comment section below or on any of our social media pages.
Interested in the story in Family Tree? Check out our ebook copy available from WV Reads!
Family Tree - West Virginia Reads - OverDrive
As always, images and info are courtesy of Google, WV Reads, author webpages, etc.