Welcome back and Merry Christmas!
This month we at Brooke County Libraries are excited to bring you a cool and frosty dessert recipe that's perfect for the Christmas season. This December we are featuring Fairy Drop Cookies from Mary Kay Andrew's Blue Christmas. It's a light and modern romance classic.
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup softened butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 tsps almond extract
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/3 - 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsps of milk
Food coloring of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the first three dry ingredients.
3. Cream butter into flour mixture.
4. Add both kinds of sugar and beat until fluffy.
5. Add oil, eggs, and almond extract to mixture and beat until well mixed.
6. Chill cookie dough in fridge for 30 minutes.
7. Pinch off teaspoon-sized bits of cookie dough, roll between fingers, and place on greased cookie sheet - approx. 1/2 inch apart.
8. After all cookies are on sheet, use back of a teaspoon to flatten cookie and make impressions on top.
9. Bake 10-12 minutes, until cookies are pale shade of yellow. Makes about five dozen cookies.
10. Onto the frosting! Beat butter into powdered sugar, then add almond, milk, vanilla, thinning until frosting is thick.
11. Separate into bowls for tinting with food coloring. Mix and color as desired.
12. Place a dab of frosting on each cookie.
13. These keep well in a sealed container.
What a fun one to try with the kiddos for a Christmas afternoon activity! Be sure to let us know if you try it out. We'd love to hear about it in the comments or on our social media pages.
Looking for a good Christmas read? We've got the audiobook available from WV Reads! You could listen as you do some wrapping and baking.
Thanks for checking in with our recipe posts! We will see you back with more recipe ideas next year.
Images and info are courtesy of Google, WV Reads, and author web pages.